Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction is a clinically proven eight-week program developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn and others at the Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. It teaches how Buddhist meditation techniques can help practitioners to identify stress-causing thought patterns and to “de-center” so that those patterns no longer take control of the mind.
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Can be taken in conjunction with existing medical treatments
- Involves a two hour class, once a week for eight weeks.
The MBSR Program Involves
- Mindfulness meditation
- Body awareness and relaxation exercises
- Light stretching and body work
- Brief lectures and discussions
- Daily homework
MBSR helps you to
- Manage everyday stress
- Take responsibility for your well-being
- Tune into your breath to calm your body and mind
- Relax and let go of tensions
- Develop skills for controlling pain and gaining a new perspective on healing.
Visit the website of UMass Medical Center for details of local MBSR practitioners.