Wildmind Buddhist Meditation

Follow us on social media sites, using RSS, on a Kindle, or on our iPhone app.

Blog

A symbol for mindfulness

A graphic designer called Giedrius recently wrote to me from Lithuania, telling me that he had created the symbol above to represent “being here and now – the idea of mindfulness.” He said:

This is an open source symbol that can universally represent mindfulness. It can also work as a reminder that can help people to be aware of the present moment.

His website gives more background information on the symbol:

When you see this symbol, anywhere – in public, personal or virtual spaces – it will work as a reminder for you to become aware of this present moment.

Firstly, this symbol is presented like a physical representation of present moment.

Vertical forms represent time – past and future. Horizontal forms represent space – 360 degrees. And the one is always in the center – being here and now.

Secondly, you can see a symbol of a water drop. This is the most often used metaphor to represent the idea of mindfulness. Only this water drop symbol is presented in a kind of mirrored way. But do not think about it, because as mentioned above, this is time – past and future, both are illusions, stay centered in the present.

This is an “open source” symbol that can be used by anyone in order to spread the message. The symbol can be used in different ways and in different media. It can also be interpreted creatively. Please send us your photos or your creative designs with this symbol and we will showcase them in our page.

When you use this symbol, you will represent the movement. So please be responsible and stay on the message.

You can download high quality files here: jpg

I’m curious what you think of this symbol.

Like it? Share it!

Google+FacebookLinkedInEmailStumbleUponPinterestTwitter

Read other articles on:

Related articles

About Bodhipaksa

Bodhipaksa is a Buddhist practitioner and teacher, a member of the Triratna Buddhist Order, and a published author. He founded Wildmind in 2001. Bodhipaksa has published many guided meditation CDs and guided meditation MP3s.

He teaches at Aryaloka Buddhist Center in Newmarket, New Hampshire. You can follow Bodhipaksa on Twitter, join him on Facebook, or hang out with him on .

Read more articles by .

Comments

Comment from Phillip Lindsey
Time: November 11, 2012, 1:16 pm

I love it! It’s so simple and beautiful.

Comment from JMB98115
Time: November 11, 2012, 2:02 pm

Great design.

Comment from Merijn de Haen
Time: November 12, 2012, 4:15 am

I like the symbol and the thought behind it. I will use it on the website for our meditation group in Utrecht.

Comment from Ann Becker-Schutte
Time: November 12, 2012, 11:48 am

I think that the symbol is clean and lovely–I would be happy to see it in use!

Comment from Radek Janac
Time: January 3, 2013, 11:03 am

I was looking for some symbol reminding me Present moment to tattoo it on my wrist as a reminder…this is simply perfect. Thank you for the idea

Comment from Barbs55
Time: March 22, 2013, 12:52 pm

When I try and click on the links for the high quality images Google Chrome warns me it is a malware car booking site? Is there a safe place to get these lovely designs, as I think the more we use it the more it will become an accepted symbol?

Comment from Bodhipaksa
Time: March 22, 2013, 1:03 pm

I’m sorry to hear about that. He must have had his site hacked. I’ve changed the links on the page, although it might take a while for the cache to clear. In the meantime, you can download the mindfulness symbol here.

Comment from Barbs55
Time: March 22, 2013, 1:18 pm

Thanks for your quick and helpful response, I am interested in the idea of a symbol that we could put up our wall at home, or on a noticeboard at work, both so others recognise us as fellow travellers on the mindfulness journey, and also so that people ask us what it means which enables us to talk about it to newcomers. We are starting a discussion about this in the Forum on everyday-mindfulness.org

Comment from JonW
Time: March 22, 2013, 5:11 pm

Love the symbol. It’s just perfect.