Sep 20, 2007
Wildmind’s latest meditation CD to be launched October 16
The double CD is a guide to the four meditations known as the “Brahmaviharas” (Divine Abodes). These practices include the Development of Lovingkindness (Metta Bhavana), the Development of Compassion (Karuna Bhavana), the Development of Empathetic Joy (Mudita Bhavana), and the Development of Equanimity (Upekkha Bhavana). The meditations are led by Bodhipaksa.
To the best of our knowledge this is the first time that all four Brahmavihara meditations have appeared on CD.
The two CD set comes with a 12 page booklet with detailed instructions about the four practices.
The title, “The Heart’s Wisdom” refers to the insights we can gain through the practice of the Brahmavihara meditations, such as:
- You cannot choose what happens to you in life, but you can learn to choose how you respond emotionally to those events.
- All beings want to be happy and free from suffering
- We can cultivate loving-kindness for a person regardless of whether we like them, dislike them, or have no feelings towards them at all
- In sharing another’s suffering we find ourselves becoming more fulfilled
- Approached with mindfulness pain becomes a skilled teacher, pointing out with exquisite clarity what’s wrong with our approach to life
happiness arises from skillful thoughts, words, and actions
- The less we cling to our expectations, the happier we will be
- Equanimity is not indifference
The Heart’s Wisdom also refers to the fact that the Brahmaviharas culminate in the Development of Equanimity, an insight meditation in which we contemplate the conditioned nature of happiness and suffering as we wish all beings well.
The meditations will be available as MP3 downloads in advance of the launch of the CD. The date of the launch will be announced in the blog.