Introducing “The Power of Mindfulness”
Mindfulness is an incredibly powerful practice that has been shown to have many physical and psychological benefits. How powerful is it?
Amongst many other things mindfulness:
- Reduces feelings of isolation in older adults
- Rewires the brain, leading to better concentration and more objective self-evaluations
- Reduces the severity and duration of acute respiratory infections
- Reduces stress during multitasking
- Boosts creative thinking
- Helps with weight-loss (even if you’re not dieting
- Produces a greater reduction in pain than even morphine or other pain-relieving drugs
- Lowers blood pressure
- Helps lower blood sugar
- Boosts the immune system
- Shifts activity in the brain from regions associated with stress to those associated with well-being, resulting in increased happiness.
This is quite a remarkable collection of benefits from what is, in essence, quite a simple practice!
In a new four-week online interactive course I’m going to be teaching the skills of living mindfully in a course called, appropriately enough, The Power of Mindfulness.
We’ll spend the first week deepening our mindfulness of the body through the practice of the Body Scan meditation. In the second and third week’s we’ll learn to still the mind through the practice of mindful breathing. And in the final week we’ll take our practice into the world with walking meditation, as well as a host of other ways to turn ordinary activities into vehicles to deepen and enrich our lives.
Every week there are guided meditation MP3s to download, readings to explain the background, and a discussion forum in which you can share the process of learning with fellow students from all over the world. Plus, you get the benefit of personal meditation coaching through an email exchange with me.
If you’re interested in joining me to explore The Power of Mindfulness, click here.