Mindful ways to get a good night’s sleep
Getting a good night’s sleep is vital to feeling energetic and making the most of our days. Some nights, even though we are very tired it is difficult to get to sleep because there is so much going on in our minds. When this happens, we feel stressed and that makes it even more difficult to get some rest.
Here is a list of techniques you may want to use to clear your mind before bed:
1. Write a list of what you need to do the next day. Having the list helps to let go of worrying that you will forget to do something.
2. Practice yoga. Practicing yoga takes concentration so it takes your mind off all the thinking that stops you from being able to go to sleep. Concentrating on the yoga asanas helps to quiet the mind and lying in savasana helps the body to relax.
3. Take a warm bath to relax muscles so that falling asleep occurs easily.
4. Read, but not in bed. Part of the reason we have trouble sleeping is because we work, check our cell phones, work on our computers and read in bed. In order to fall asleep easily, it is important to use bed for sleeping and sex and that is all. That way, when we go to bed, we associate bed with sleeping.
5. Listen to soothing music.
6. If you go to bed and cannot keep your mind from thinking too much, get out of bed and do something (read, write a letter, fix a broken appliance) until you are very tired and then go back to bed.
7. If you are worried or concerned about something or someone, remember that worrying does not help the situation and think about all the times you worried and what you were worried about never happened.
8. Write down what has happened during the day that was troubling and what was positive – it helps to clear your thoughts about the day.
9. Write in a gratitude journal, a list of things you are thankful for. Going to sleep in a positive frame of mind will bring sleep sooner and make dreams sweeter.
10. Visualize yourself on a beach, in the warm sun, listening to the waves of the ocean.
It is helpful to have a list of techniques that help to clear your mind before going to bed, so when you are in bed and cannot fall asleep, you know what to do rather than tossing and turning and feeling stressed because you cannot sleep.
I hope some of these techniques will work for you and you will sleep peacefully, have sweet dreams and wake up refreshed.