Rick Hanson PhD
Mar 14, 2014
These statements about reality, about the way things really are, are central to Buddhism, and you can test them for yourself:
- Everything happens because of preceding causes. Everything, both inside our minds and outside in the world.
- Those causes lead to results that are either beneficial or harmful, for ourselves and others.
- Causes originate within yourself and outside yourself.
- The primary source of the causes that originate inside you are your own intentions. As one teacher put it, “Everything rests on the tip of motivation.”
- Some of our intentions are very deliberate and conscious, while others are shadowy or altogether hidden. Multiple intentions dance, join with, and oppose each other