Lisa Desmond’s beautiful and practical book on teaching meditation to pre-school age children contains the following excellent advice for those wanting to teach meditation to tots.
Some of these suggestions could be useful to those who teach meditation to adults as well!
- Speak in a soft, kind, loving voice.
- Be joyful yet serious.
- Store your sacred items on your altar and let the children know that they may not play with them — these objects are not toys.
- Practice the meditations on your own, so you are comfortable.
- At night, use soft lighting.
- Make eye contact when appropriate.
- Do not comment on the way the children breathe.
- Do not comment on whether or not