This checklist will allow you to run through a quick pre-flight checkup routine to allow for optimal performance in meditation.
- Adjust your seat height and angle so that your back is relatively straight, and also relaxed.
- Just let the breath flow naturally in and out of the body, and let the belly move freely with the breathing.
- Let your spine move with your breathing, so that you can be sure you’re not holding yourself rigidly.
- Make sure that your hands are supported so that there’s no strain in your shoulders or between the shoulder-blades.
- Relax your shoulders, letting them roll back to open your chest. Let your shoulders move with your breathing.
- Take a few deep breaths into the upper chest to allow your chest to open. Relax on the outbreath, but see if you can keep a sense of space across the front of the chest as you do so.
- Adjust the angle of your head, so that the back of your neck is relaxed, long and open, and your chin is slightly tucked in. Your head should feel like it’s balanced effortlessly atop your spine.
- Relax your jaw, your tongue, your eyes, and your brow.
You’re now ready to begin working on body awareness and relaxation.