Yesterday I wrote about using mindfulness to deal with the craving for tobacco. By coincidence, an old friend, Sagaracitta, has recently published an article on the same topic. It’s a long article, but it contains this handy suggestion for smoking with mindfulness (which I’ve slightly edited).
- Scan through your body. Make a note of how you are feeling. Then contact your breath.
- Without altering your breath, just be aware of three full cycles of your breathing.
- Look at your cigarette packet. Read any warning labels. Just be aware of it.
- Be aware of one full cycle of your breath. Notice any feelings that are arising.
- Pick up the packet. Feel it. Smell it.